Re: [opensuse-wiki] What kind of login?
  • From: Peter Flodin <pflodin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 20:23:11 +1100
On 2/4/06, Rajko M <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> the hard fact is that the most successful wiki site Wikipedia does not
> require it, so people are used to idea that anybody can edit information
> without registering and logging.

I would challenge the statement that people in general are used to the
idea of changing the content of web sites they visit, let alone being
able to do it without registering.

> The problem is that on HCL page
> http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Desktops
> I call people to add their experience, but even if I would undertake
> actual tasks of input and information sorting, I have no single page
> where anybody can leave his experience without registering and logging.

As the creator of the HCL section on the wiki, I started with laptops
and it grew with the demand of different devices. I think the issue
you have encountered is that, there is not so much demand for hardware
compatibility of complete desktop systems. I personally think this is
because:
1. Most hardware is well supported, (if it works you don't need an HCL)
2. Most Linux users are using white boxes and not branded desktop systems.

> Their experience show that vandals of any kind are not
> that big concern as closed wiki.

You have not convinced me that:
1. We have a real issue with contribution
2. It would be in any way solved by allowing anonymous editing.

Peter 'Pflodo' Flodin
ps. Because the server is hosted by Novell, they are accepting certain
liabilities with content that is hosted. They try to pass this
liability on to the submitter, but this is difficult if users are not
registered, so I doubt that the policy would change even if we wanted
it to.
< Previous Next >