Re: [opensuse-wiki] Wiki Translations
  • From: Sonja Krause-Harder <skh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:27:47 +0100
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 12:52:43PM +0100, jdd wrote:
> > Do we already keep track of pages that only exist in languages other
> > than english? It would be nice to have at all content referenced from
> > the english version, be it only as stubs to which a full translation
> > can be added later.
>
> it's a feature of wikipedia language implementation. Well
> done, the side menu links to the same page in other langages

I know interwiki links, but someone has to create them in the first
place. Let me rephrase my question: how can we keep the wikis at least
somewhat in sync? If everybody only translates pages from the english
wiki, there is no problem, but what if someone creates new documentation
in french, which doesn't exist in english?

- just do it, with luck somebody will find it and translate it to other
languages

- always create an english page, even if it only says "this content only
exists in french and needs a translator", and have volunteers actively
monitor the wikis for these pages, and translate them to english. This
way, the english wiki would serve as a reference wiki.

Clearer now?

Sonja

--
Sonja Krause-Harder (skh@xxxxxxx)
Research & Development SUSE Linux Products GmbH