Re: [opensuse-web] Reworking the software search page
Hello,

@packman team: can you please answer the question at the end of this
mail?

Am Freitag, 2. März 2012 schrieb Thomas Schmidt:
On 01.03.2012 18:28, Christian Boltz wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 1. März 2012 schrieb Thomas Schmidt:
The challenge is to make available the matrix of different OS
versions, repositories and package versions in a clear way while
making it easy for the standard user to get the latest stable
version for his OS without getting confused.

AFAIK One Click Install supports ymp files that choose the
distribution automatically (packman uses such files IIRC).

Using such a multi-distribution ymp file for the big "Direct
Install" button would make things easier and less error-prone for
the average user.

That would be really cool and avoid some wrong downloads i think.
I'm not sure how we can detect on which os version the client is
anyway (in the browser).

You can't detect it in the browser. Well, maybe you can do some guessing
based on the "user agent" - but that's nothing I would rely on. And to
make it even more interesting, it's easy to change what a browser can
send in its "user agent" string.

If you want something that works in the browser, then add a "remember my
distribution" checkbox on the search page that sets a long-living
cookie.

BTW: The multi-distribution ymp files contain repo urls for various
distributions, and YaST OneClickInstall then chooses the right one.

At the moment the ymp is directly created by
the obs at an url like this:
https://api.opensuse.org//published/openSUSE:12.1/standard/kernel-def
ault?view=ymp

We would need someone to extend the obs to create those multi-os ymps.

Shouldn't be too hard for the OBS team ;-)

It would also be interesting to know how packman creates those.

That's the reason why I'm CC'ing the packman mailinglist ;-)

@packman team: can someone please give a short description how the
packman multi-distribution ymp files are created?

Aren't most of SUSE-employed community members part of the
Research&Destroy department? [Sascha Peilicke in opensuse-project]