Re: [opensuse-web] Reworking the software search page
On 01.03.2012 21:03, Wolfgang Hahnl wrote:
Hello Thomas

Am 01.03.2012 12:05, schrieb Thomas Schmidt:
As part of the current boosters sprint[1] which aims at integrating
the appstream[2] project into our distribution we would like to enhance
the web view on our packages at software.o.o/search.

With the final target of an web-based appstore we began thinking of
how to display a package (app) to the user.
The challenge is to make available the matrix of different OS versions,
repositories and package versions in a clear way while making it easy for
the standard user to get the latest stable version for his OS without
getting confused.

We already have a mockup available:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/294274/software.o.o/package-view.png

Feedback appreciated :-)

"The openSUSE instance currently has over 30.000 users that are building almost
160.000 packages for 22 base distributions on 6 architectures."
Source:Portal:Build Service

As an user I would appreciate an additional functionality to search for
applications via schemes. For examble: If I would look for an app for
project management and don't know the name. So I would like to search for
office applications and look if there is an app available.

Is this idea discussed already?

That would be one of the next steps to create a browsing by category,
or appstore like entry page similar to
http://www.apple.com/iphone/from-the-app-store/

Greetings

--