Re: [opensuse-web] Broken link to Package Repositories?
  • From: Frank Sundermeyer <fs@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 08:48:32 +0100
On Tuesday 16 February 2010 23:05:18 Graham P Davis wrote:

Hi,

On page http://software.opensuse.org/developer/en and under the side
heading "Software", there is a link labelled "Package Repositories".
However, this link leads to
http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories.
I assume that
it is supposed to point to
http://en.opensuse.org/Package_repositories instead.

no ;-). The official distribution repositories are always automatically added
to the installed system. Among other important repositories they are also
available via YaST -> Software Repositories -> Add -> Community Repositories.
Even when doing an installation via Network with the mini iso, the official
repositories are pre-configured.

It is much harder to find third repositories (which are normally not under
Community Repositories in YaST), therefore we have added the link.

I have spent many fun-filled hours trying to find the "official
repositories", and I've almost always failed to crawl my way to the very
bottom of the "Additional" page where they are hidden away under "See
Also".

At the top of the "Additional package repositories" there now is a green box
with the following content (it was added end of December):

----------
This is a list of currently existing third-party repositories, [...]

For official repositories (OSS, non-OSS, updates) and semi official
repositories (including KDE, GNOME and Java repositories) see <link>Package
Repositories</link>.

[...]

--
Regards
Frank

Frank Sundermeyer, Technical Writer, Documentation
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
Tel: +49-911-74053-0, Fax: +49-911-7417755; http://www.opensuse.org/
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)