Re: [opensuse-virtual] [kernel bug + panic] Re: DomU config for a Centos6 guest?
gregk.xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Jim,

On Monday, September 19, 2011 2:08 PM, "Jim Fehlig" <jfehlig@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

gregk.xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

A buddy suggested I should try a different way, using a Centos
kernel+ramdisk directly instead of trying to dig for it.

Good suggestion...

mount -o loop CentOS-6.0-x86_64-netinstall.iso /mnt/Centos6
cp -a /mnt/Centos6/isolinux/{vmlinuz,initrd.img} /stor/

Is that a pv or pv-ops capable kernel?

I wouldn't know how to check for certain. I don't know much about
Centos6 yet, just that it's supposed to be a clone of RedHat6 minus the
commercial support.

I did find this from a Citrix forum

Re: Death of multi-os Virtualization?
http://forums.citrix.com/message.jspa?messageID=1456321

The latest Linux kernels, including the RHEL6 kernel, leverage a
capability called paravirt_ops -- which means that the kernel is
enabled right out of the box to work properly in a
paravirtualized Xen environment (as well as other
paravirtualization) -- without needing a special "xenified"
kernel. One of our SEs has taken it and, with a small number of
simple manual steps, gotten it up and running without a special
kernel. Red Hat's no longer shipping a Xen hypervisor doesn't
affect this at all.

So it looks like the CentOS kernel should be a paravirt_ops (same as
pv-ops I think) kernel.

Shouldn't what I'm doing work with that kernel?

Have you considered installing as an hvm guest?

I'm having a hard time finding Opensuse virtualization "DocsForDummies".

I'd consider anything that works right now. If you can help me tweak my
config I'll try that.

Config similar to

name="blabla"
memory=1024
vcpus=4
builder="hvm"
device_model="/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
kernel="/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
boot="d"
disk=[ 'file:/var/lib/xen/images/sles11sp1 gmc-hvm/disk0,hda,w',
'file:/path/to/centos6.iso,hdc:cdrom,r', ]

/etc/xen/examples/ contains quite a few examples for both pv and hvm.
But vm-install should help with the installation. Just ensure to check
"Full virtualization" for Virtualization Method.

Regards,
Jim