[opensuse-virtual] Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.0 - prerequisites for succesfull live migration?
  • From: Danilo Godec <danilo.godec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 14:15:39 +0200
On 07/07/2011 11:32 AM, Mark Dokter wrote:
I had migration and save/restore issues with xen 4.0 on debian and ubuntu. (See thread "Live migration on xen 4.0.1 fails" on this list (dated 04/2011). I did not really find out, what went wrong. Now I use xen 4.1 and migration works (with 2.6.38+ pv-on-hvm domUs).

Thanks, I'll try to setup a lab to test 4.1...

But in the mean time I made some discoveries:

I'm using the 'vcpus=X' and 'vcpu_avail='Y' to start my VM's with 'Y' VCPU's, but still be able to add some VCPU's later if needed (where X is the number of cores in my biggest server and Y is typically 2).
In this case, live migration fails.

If I omit the 'vcpu_avail' option and only use 'vcpus=Y', live migration seems to work. However 'xm console' doesn't work after migration and
'xm shutdown' doesn't work either - instead the CPU usage according to xentop shoots up to 100% and ultimately the DomU has to be destroyed.

Danilo

PS: I'm using para-virtualisation. Would I be better off using HVM?

So this is the first problem. I wonder if there is a known problem
with this specific Xen version or something specific to your setup on
OpenSUSE?

I've added the opensuse-virtual list to the CC just in case someone
can shed some light on it. (here is this message in context
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2011-07/msg00090.html)

Thanks,
Todd

regards,

Mark

Danilo Godec, sistemska podpora / system administration

Predlog! Obiscite prenovljeno spletno stran www.agenda.si

ODPRTA KODA IN LINUX
STORITVE : POSLOVNE RESITVE : UPRAVLJANJE IT : INFRASTRUKTURA IT :
IZOBRAZEVANJE : PROGRAMSKA OPREMA

Visit our updated web page at www.agenda.si

OPEN SOURCE AND LINUX
SERVICES : BUSINESS SOLUTIONS : IT MANAGEMENT : IT INFRASTRUCTURE : TRAINING :
SOFTWARE