Re: [opensuse-virtual] help launching a Centos 5.5 Xen PV guest on an OpenSuse 11.2 Dom0 host ?
  • From: "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 17:21:34 +0100
0bo0 <0.bugs.only.0@xxxxxxxxx> 06/04/10 6:50 PM >>>
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
This certainly isn't with the 11.2 kernel, is it? On the HEAD (Factory)
one we did such a change, but there still is no need to load the driver
through /etc/sysconfig/kernel (as that would result in also attempting
to load the [non-existing] driver on native boots). Instead, the proper
place is in xend's startup script, as was also done by us in preparation
to that kernel side change.

heh. i'm getting lost as to what's been (not) done where ...

I wuld think that we can expect you to know what you have installed on your
system.

*I* currently have

uname -a
Linux server 2.6.34-42-xen #1 SMP 2010-06-01 15:17:00 +0200 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

As expected, this is not the 11.2 kernel.

where,

grep -i base Kernel_112.repo XEN4.repo
Kernel_112.repo:baseurl=http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_11.2
XEN4.repo:baseurl=http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Virtualization/openSUSE_11.2

Nor would this (assuming XEN4 implies Xen 4.0.0) be the 11.2 hypervisor/tools.

I don't think we guarantee consistency at any point in time between Xen and
kernel; I would expect them to be consistent at Milestone points (and then only
in Factory or whatever tree upcoming OpenSuSE releases get built from). I have
no clue if/when/how synchronization happens between Factory and other repos
like the one you use.

Jan