[opensuse-virtual] setup xen DomU/Guest from openSUSE-11.1-DVD-x86_64.iso
  • From: Andre Mueller <andre.mueller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:44:25 +0200

Hello

I am new to xen so my question may be vain.

On the host I have set-up OpenSuse 11.1 x86_64 and thereafter I have successfully installed xen server (with all latest updates).

In the yast xen "Create Virtual Machines" tool I have tried several times to create a xen vm from openSUSE-11.1-DVD-x86_64.iso (iso loaded to the local system from mirror linked on opensuse.org) as repository. Almost at the beginning of the create process I get always the message "Error : The installation source is unusable." - "Details : the 'kernel-xen' and 'install-initrd' packages were not found"

Trying the creation of an alternative vm (with equal settings) but using as repository source the openSUSE-11.1-DVD-i586.iso (also downloaded from a opensuse.org mirror) the vm is created successfully.

So I am wondering why on the openSUSE-11.1-DVD-x86_64.iso the packages 'kernel-xen' and 'install-initrd' are missing and/or do I have missed the an important information, that x86_64 can not be used as guest system?

Thanks for any hints, with best regards,

André