Re: [opensuse-virtual] Bug (Maybe?) with finding Xen Guest installation repository
  • From: "Jason Douglas" <jdouglas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:58:59 -0600

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:41 AM, in message
<61e814a80805291041l3ea6b9e7ve47155e9d48693f3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Tetsu Asaka"
<tetsuichi.asaka@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello List!

Because with a friend's Ubuntu machine I can do a similar creation, I
think it's now maybe a bug. In Xen or OpenSuse I don't understand.
I have also read that installing Fedora and Redhat in this method is
also successfull.

I have installed the very newest OpenSuse Version11 from the Factory
Repository. It uses a quite new Xen Hypervisor,
"xen-3.2.1_16881_04-2"

And I have started the machine in the Xen Kernel

uname -a
Linux server 2.6.25.4-8-xen #1 SMP 2008-05-26 15:23:05 +0200 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Now I attempt to create a Guest domain, also OpenSuse. I am using the
method with

xm create

Is there a reason that you are not using vm-install (YaST -> Create Virtual
Machines) to create your virtual machine? Those tools are provided to make VM
installation as simple as possible.

The Test-configuration is the most simple I can make. It is exactly only

cat test.cfg
name='test'
builder='linux'
kernel='/home/tetsu/test/vmlinuz-xen'
ramdisk='/home/tetsu/test/initrd-xen'
maxmem=1024
memory=1024
vcpus=1

extra='install=http://134.76.12.5/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/ins
t-source?device=eth0
hostip=192.168.1.10/24 gateway=192.168.1.1 nameserver=192.168.1.1'
root='/dev/xvda1'
disk=['phy:/dev/v2/test,xvda,w']
vif=['mac=00:16:3E:01:01:01,bridge=xenTEST,vifname=vifTEST']
vfb=['type=vnc,vncdisplay=1,vnclisten=127.0.0.1']
on_crash='destroy'
on_reboot='destroy'
on_shutdown='destroy'

To install the Guest, I create it

xm create -c test.cfg

In the VNC display of the output I see a "Red" Error message from the
Linuxrc program.

Could not find the OpenSuse Repository.
Activating manual setup program.

Following the advise I have read I check all the entries in the Manual
Linurc dialogue. When continuing, I see again another "Red" Error
message,

No Repository Found.

It appears not to use corectly the Guest's interface, eth0?

But I see in the Domain 0 the interface is added at the bridge,

brctl show
bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
xenTEST 8000.00504300415e no peth0
vifTEST

It appears as though you have overridden the default xen networking
configuration since xenTEST is not a default bridge name. There are several
things that could be going wrong with your custom configuration, but it is
tough to tell what those might be. Have you tried running the basic networking
config (network-bridge)? What happens there?

Jason