Re: [opensuse-virtual] Problems with Xen-installation resp. configuration
  • From: gildo.rex@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 18:32:40 +0200
Hi Andrew,

Do I get this right, that I cannot install a paravirtualized guest from
the CD, but I can install a Xen-Server from the CD?

That may be the case (I'm not certain of the detailed
technicalities), but I do know that although I have performed 1-CD
installs and then installed the xen kernel, any installations of
virtual machines needed to be performed using the DVD media. The good
news is that it doesn't need to be burnt to disk first! It's fine to
just point the installer to the DVD ISO image saved somewhere on the
local filesystem.

Your hint made my saturday!!! The installation worked and the VMs are
performing well

(better than VMware).
Many thanks!

I have got one more challenge to master:

As I'm doing clustertest I'm installing the VMs on one host and test them on
this host. The

next step is to spread the VMs across to hosts. So I need to migrate on of the
DomUs.
With VMware I simply copied the VM to the other physical node and started it.
I tried the same with the DomU and copied the configfile as well as the
Diskfile.

When I try to start the DomU on the other node, I get the error message:

mpiphysicaltest2:~ # /usr/sbin/xm create /etc/xen/vm/test2 -c
Using config file "/etc/xen/vm/test2".
Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'xc_dom_compat_check: guest type xen-3.0-x86_32
not supported

by xen kernel, sorry\n')

I checked the kernel via 'uname':

stephan@mpiphysicaltest1:~> uname -a
Linux mpiphysicaltest1 2.6.22.17-0.1-xen #1 SMP 2008/02/10 20:01:04 UTC i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
stephan@mpiphysicaltest1:~> uname -r
2.6.22.17-0.1-xen

stephan@mpiphysicaltest2:/usr/lib/xen/boot> uname -a
Linux mpiphysicaltest2 2.6.22.17-0.1-xenpae #1 SMP 2008/02/10 20:01:04 UTC i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
stephan@mpiphysicaltest2:/usr/lib/xen/boot> uname -r
2.6.22.17-0.1-xenpae

On the second node (target node), the kernel seems to have a PAE-extension.
Might that hinder the migration? I don't know where it derives from - I
installed both kernel from the same CD from scratch...

How can I harmonize this??

Kind Regards

Stephan