[opensuse-virtual] Xen DomU on LVM
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 22:04:49 +0200
Hi,

This is on openSUSE 10.3:

I'm trying to setup Xen guests on LVM logical volumes. What I want to
achieve is:
- better performance as with file based VBDs
- easy resizing options for guest filesystems

So my plan was to use LVs directly as partitions in the guest
/dev/vg/lv1 -> /dev/hda1
/dev/vg/lv2 -> /dev/hda2 (or /dev/hdb1 FWIW)
According to documentation I found, that should be possible but I wasn't
able to get it to work.
Probably the only issue is YaST anyway but I'm not sure and I actually
want to be able to install within a DomU.
Xen is always using the VBDs as whole disks so that /dev/hda1 ends up
being a disk which needs a partition table and partition within DomU.

While using one LV for the whole DomU disk would be possible it makes
resizing much harder since DomU doesn't know about LVM so I can resize
the "disk" but it's not really possible to resize the partitions within
DomU.

Any ideas?

Wolfgang