Re: [opensuse-virtual] So what's this group really for?
  • From: "Stephen Shaw" <sshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:00:42 -0600
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I noticed the creation of this group earlier today and signed up right
away - I've been meaning to play around with xen and such for a while,
but sofar I've only made it to vmware and virtualbox for playing a bit
with Windows.

What I sometimes think about is - do any of you guys use virtualisation
in production, and if so, are you using hardware with suitable
redundancy? I can't help thinking that a machine with a 20 virtual
systems will take town 20 servers when it suffers a hardware problem?

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

(xen)
I use it in production and haven't had any problems. Granted I don't
have hardware redundancy, but its not critical either. You can add
things like heartbeat and have your vms stored on iscsi or some nas.
The bootup time is amazingly fast too. The base is small as long as
you aren't using it for anything other than VMs.

As for the list, anything to do with virtualization. I was pushing
for a xen list, but well they said I have to play nice with others :)

Stephen