Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-ux (52 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-ux] Re: [yast-devel] printer module redesign
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 15:37:35 +0100
Martin Schmidkunz napsal(a):
Lukas Ocilka wrote:
Why "Local Configurations" instead of "Local Printers"?
Why "Remote Configuration" instead of "Remote Printers" or "Network
Printers"?

According to Johannes, the term "printer" is meaningless.
So we decided to use "configurations".

Considering the user experience, it's YaST Printer module, not YaST
Configuration module. You expect to configure a printer / remote printer
/ remote queue / ... here.

In my opinion, users are interested in printing, not configuring
anything :) Having known the Johaness' opinion still didn't persuade me
to accept it. Why "meaningless"?

Still no idea what "Remote Access" is and why should I click on that tab :(

How would you name it?

Is that about sharing my local printers as network printers? In that
case, I'd rather define it for every single local printer.

* Select a printer
* Click [Edit]
* Go to 'Sharing'

Still very confused with "Print via Network" and still no clue why
should I click on that tab :(

How would you name it?

In my opinion, configuration should be transparent for users. They
needn't have four or five tabs to configure their printer/s. Windows XP
does this job much better with a single window.

Buttons
[Add] -> [Add Printer]? / [New Printer]?
[Edit] -> [Configure]? / [Reconfigure]?
[Delete] -> [Remove]?

Because of the YaST style guide :-)

Oh, style-guide can be changed :) It's not a definite set of rules
written into stone ;)

L.

< Previous Next >
List Navigation