Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-ux (48 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-ux] Redesign of YaST Control Center
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:01:17 +0100
On Friday 23 November 2007, Benji Weber said:
On 23/11/2007, Thomas Goettlicher <thomas.goettlicher@xxxxxxx> wrote:
we want to redesign the YaST Control Center. Therefore we are looking
for a radical new design.

Please feel free to contribute with mockups and (unconventional) ideas
here: http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/Development/New_Control_Center

Looking at this mockup, it's almost identical to the "systemsettings"
kcontrol replacement (will be default in kde4)[0] and also I believe
the gnome app-browser.

I have not looked at how these are implemented, but using them for
YaST could be as easy as putting the YaST module .desktop files in the
correct places, and adding a few extra fields to the .desktop files.
If so this could be the easiest ever major feature to implement.

[0] http://bw.uwcs.co.uk/systemsettings.png

Yup, those of us who have been around a bit longer know that YaST modules were
once shown in the KDE Control Center treeview. It should be no big thing to
load them into systemsettings too - it uses the same KCModuleProxy class as
kcontrol.

But what about the non KDE/Gnome YaST users? Do they stay with the existing
controlcenter in this model?

Will

--
Desktop Engineer