Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-ux (48 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-ux] new UI in yast2-printer
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:22:53 -0600
On Wednesday 14 November 2007 05:31:46 am Johannes Meixner wrote:

I think that wording like "printers/queues" or "printers (print queues)"
or "configured printers (print queues)" could hopefully match to the
existing "printer in the printing system" mental model of the user
and at the same time it should hopefully make the user aware that
it is queues and furthermore it would better match to the mental model
of an experienced user.

I agree with idea to explain what is printing queue and use that term without
mixing printer/printing queue/queue. There is more queues than printing, so
queue alone will make confusion.

I'm not far from inexperienced user when comes to printing, so for me it would
be easy to understand that printing queue is software black box that takes my
text do whatever is necessary to give appropriate printout and sends to
printer.

It is also easy to swallow that each computer has one such black box and also
that such boxes can be reached over the network, so I can send text to any of
them and they will find a way to printer.

I agree that the worst thing is to mix expressions, use them interchangeably
like they are synonyms.

Martin:
The terminology used in Windows can't be used here, as they make presumption
that only one physical printer is attached to computer. So when I see
printing queue on the network there is exactly one printer behind that queue.
CUPS servers can run on every computer advertising single physical computer
that can be attached to any of them or hanging somewhere it the network.

This must be made clear to any user, new and old.
The other option to limit explanation and printing system setup to Windows
compatible mode is cutting the wings to openSUSE.

--
Regards,
Rajko.