Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-ux (11 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-ux] -ux appeal
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:10:48 -0500
On Wednesday 24 October 2007 07:05:40 am Ricardo Cruz wrote:
Qua, 2007-10-24 às 02:25 -0500, Rajko M. escreveu:
Yes, you are.
I guess nobody is able to guess what a 'ux' stands for when is looking
what list to subscribe.

I guess it has also to do with the scope of the mailing list. I have
seen interface design discussions in gnome and yast mailing lists. A lot
of developers also discuss within the team I guess.

Cheers,

Hi Ricardo,

New cool name 'UX' was already criticized as completely non-intuitive.
Precious was somewhat incomplete description, but it was much easier to find
and many new users came in and gave proposals. Since name change traffic to
the list went down and it seems abandoned.

The scope of this list is "User eXperience" and this should be place where
design of UI starts, where one put in one place:
- technical demands (mandatory program input an output)
- user previous experience and skills (what to present to user and what help
to provide)
- available UI presentation (text, ncurses, GUI)

and from that should be synthesized solution.

While I (we) use word developer as a term to describe engineering that is
highly skilled in solving technical issues, one appliance (device, program)
development includes more than technical questions and there must be other
experts involved to create appliance on user satisfaction.

What for one expert appear, from his/her point of view, as easy to solve and
not so important, can create usage or troubleshoting problems and make users
to look for another solution. I would skip any examples as they are present
all over Linux landscape.

--
Regards,
Rajko.