Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-ux (89 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-ux] Installer UX Ideas.
  • From: "Martin Schmidkunz" <martin.schmidkunz@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 21:33:22 +0200
Am 17.05.2007, 19:32 Uhr, schrieb Brian Imhausen <bimhausen@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Maybe distinct desktop installer cd images (a la Mandriva) and a unified dvd image which presents the user with an option before running the live environment?

Yeah! That sounds like a good idea! We should do that.

The description of each desktop's functionality could appear on a page for downloading the installer media...

Maybe we can link not only to a description but also to a short demo of each desktop environment?
So that each user can figure out, which basic layout fits him most?

"Multiple graphical desktop environments are available for Linux - KDE and GNOME are the most popular. openSUSE offers a choice of both. Both will cover your basic needs. Which one suits you best is a matter of personal taste and wants."

That is exactly the description we need. It is no suggestions but doesn`t confuse the user. I like it.
I would just add something like:
[...] Both will cover your basic needs like browsing the internet, emailing, doing office work, picture editing and multimedia. [...]

Mhm. Maybe the description is too long. But something similar.
What do you think?

Enjoy,

Martin