Re: [opensuse-translation] Global localization issues
  • From: Michael Skiba <mailinglist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:30:40 +0200
Am Donnerstag, 26. April 2012, 16:59:02 schrieb Karl Eichwalder:
As long as they do not exceed the number of, say, 20 or 25 I would not
remove them. It is not worth the trouble, IMO.

But we should not ship those basically empty or very outdated yast
translation packages. I guess I'll skip all languages during packaging,
that are listed in trunk/yast/wanted_languages.

If the strings haven't changed I don't see a problem with outdated
translations, I guess most teams have tons of strings that they haven't
touched in several years now. In my opinion a few strings is better than no
strings at all for several reasons:
- We might be the only Linux distribution that has those Strings, thus making
openSUSE still the best choice
- It could motivate new translators seeing that their languageteam needs help
+ they don't have to start from scratch

Of course they shouldn't be used by the marketing team (maybe they set their
own limit and say 'okay, we only count fully translated languages > 90%')

I think we should ping the list once in a while to check for inactive
translation teams (something like: The following teams had no activity in the
last 15 months and will be declared unmaintained if noone replies) after that
we should drop a note in the openSUSE-news/ML/... or something like that
stating that we are looking for translators for those languages.

One thing that I've experienced is that new translators are more likely to
follow an "invitation" rather than start the initiative on their own (most
likely because they don't know where to start and what to do).

Regards,
Michael