[opensuse-translation] Global localization issues
  • From: Alexander Melentyev <minton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 02:02:25 +0400
Hi, fellow listmates.
While working on stats counting script I met a few issues in our SVN
that need to be discussed. This is mostly about lack of maintenance.

Issue 1: Unmaintained languages
At leasts 7 languages are totally unmaintained:
am:Amharic
jv:Javanese
lv:Latvian
my:Burmese
ne:Nepali
sq:Albanian
sw:Swahili
They have ZERO translations for quite a long time. Also I want to
specifically add sr@Latn:Serbian Latn to this list — even though it
has a few lines translated, svn log shows no translators activity
since at least 2006 (only «external maintenance» commits from keichwa,
a_jaeger, cihlarov and myself). Those are the most obvious examples,
but I'm sure there is more.

Issue 2: Lack of translators
It was already mentioned a few days ago, but it gives us a good
example of what's happening: webyast-example-ui.pot was not merged
automagically. The thing is that 48 "teams" still don't have it
merged. This leads me to a conclusion that a number of active teams is
severely lower than a total number of language directories available.
So when the marketing team will look at the toplist and see 60+
languages listed, it is far from true.

What do you think, should we define a way to determine really
«unmaintained» langs and drop such languages? Or at least do something
about them?

--
Regards, Minton.