Re: [opensuse-translation] Info on packages/pot files
2011/10/11 Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>:
The package is not for users to install.

OK. Removed.

and descriptions are still in English. I have also set root LANG
variable to it_IT.UTF-8, zypper is in Italian but description is still
in English. If I use your command, everything is in English (Loading
repository data...).
LANG might be too little as LC_MESSAGES inherits LC_ALL

In any case, I need to use at least LC_ALL=it_IT in order to keep
Italian translation of zypper since LC_ALL=it is not enough in my
system.

Now I checked the cache of the repositories and packages.it.gz is not
present there. Only .gz, .en.gz and .DU.gz.
Probably this is the cause: I forced the generation of repository
caches (zypper ref -f) and now I have Italian translations for
descriptions and summaries.

So I switched again the system to en_US, forced the regeneration of
the cache and packages.it.gz disappeared. To obtain it again, I needed
to do at least a "LANG=it_IT zypper ref -f" and then using "LANG=it_IT
zypper se bash" I obtain Italian translation.

OK, my testing system is not (so) broken and I have understood a lot
of things about packages translations.

Now there is a strange situation: since descriptions and summaries are
translated, an user might want to search a package using a translated
search string: (s)he will not obtain any result; (s)he must search in
English to obtain something.

I think this and the way to obtain translated descriptions after
installation should be point out to users in some way but I have no
idea at the moment.

Regards,
Andrea