Re: [opensuse-translation] Various Information
  • From: Kostas Boukouvalas <boukouvalas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 13:24:55 +0200
Στις 23/12/2010 01:13 μμ, ο/η Martin Schlander έγραψε:
Tirsdag den 21. december 2010 14:37:40 skrev Kostas Boukouvalas:
Could information be provided about the openSUSE localization deadlines?
Also because I'm not used to the new terms, how do we call this in the
new decade? Translation Freeze? Is there any process the maintainer of a
localization project for openSUSE distribution should know?
There's not much you need to know. If you have the necessary permissions, just
checkout from svn and translate like mad. Everything else is between you and
your team.

Of course it helps to know the roadmap - http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap -
Particularly: Dec. 16: "hard text freeze" and Mar. 2: "Translation Finish".

Now, I'm pretty sure the finish date is a mistake. It might apply for Release
Notes, but for stuff in the actual distro it seems unrealistic to have
translation finish after 11.4RC2. So better count on translation finish in
early to mid February (around RC1) for everything other than Release Notes.

1) Is there any suggestion about what program should we use for
translating? I use gtranslator. Is there any much more popular among
openSUSE members?
If you're happy with gtranslator then use that. Lokalize and POEdit are more
popular I think.

Personally I'm very happy with Lokalize. I think it's the only editor
supporting the "diffs" for fuzzy strings, but I could be wrong.

Thank you also Martin for the answers.