Re: [opensuse-translation] New home-page translation
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 09:55:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Monday, 2008-10-06 at 12:00 +0900, Satoru Matsumoto wrote:

On Monday, 2008-10-06 at 01:15 +0800, chen swyear wrote:

I want to translate our new home page http://www.opensuse.org to
Traditional Chinese (zh_TW)
how can I start?

I think you should ask in the "opensuse-wiki" mail list instead. This
list is usually about the translations of programs.

I think we are a little bit confused and this issue is related to the thread in marketing ML. http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/opensuse-marketing/2008-10/msg00005.html

There are two teams for translation now, Translation team and
Localization team.

*Translation* team handles mainly the translation of Wiki and is
discussing issues on 'opensuse-*wiki* ML'. On the other hand,
*Localization* team handles mainly the translation of applications and
discussing issues on 'opensuse-*translation* ML'.

I think that's why we are confused.

Bad choice of title words.

wiki translation team --> wiki list
http://en.opensuse.org/Translation_Team
software translation team --> opensuse-translation list
¿?
http://i18n.opensuse.org/

http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Localization_Teams

Then, some teams have a single page both for the wiki and software (it). Some have different pages (es). This is not organized. In fact, till today I did not know my page was the i18n one (it has changed since last I looked it up a year or so ago). Also, hae a look at the names of each translation team home page, there is no common criteria.

See links names:

http://i18n.opensuse.org/
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/SUSE_Linux_Localization
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Localization_Guide
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Localization_Teams

http://cs.opensuse.org/Lokalizace
http://en.opensuse.org/Translation-da
http://de.opensuse.org/%C3%9Cbersetzungs_Team
http://es.opensuse.org/Traduccion

http://hu.opensuse.org/%C3%9Cdv%C3%B6z%C3%B6lj%C3%BCk_az_openSUSE.org_oldal%C3%A1n
http://en.opensuse.org/Translation-it
http://en.opensuse.org/Translation-nb
http://nl.opensuse.org/Vertaalteam
http://pt.opensuse.org/Tradu%C3%A7%C3%A3o
http://ru.opensuse.org/Translation_Team
http://tr.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE.org%27a_Ho%C5%9Fgeldiniz
http://en.opensuse.org/UK-Welcome_to_openSUSE.org (Ukrainian points here)

I can't find a page listing the different wiki translation pages, if they exist. I know some - no, one:

http://es.opensuse.org/Equipo_de_traductores

This is not organized.

Additionally, Translation team recognize that translating the new
frontpage (http://www.opensuse.org) to other languages is not their
task, because the frontpage is outside of the Wiki and they have no
privilege to translate it by themselves.

Ah.

In addition to the frontpage and the 'Get It!' page
(http://software.opensuse.org/), there are many pages to be translated
outside of the Wiki, such as news.opensuse.org, users.opensuse.org,
build.opensuse.org...

Zonker, just now in Japan, and I were talking about this issue last
week. I think we'd better decide it first, which ML is suitable for
discussing this issue. Is the translation ML suitable for that ?

Well, I think you can find translators, but, if I take the Spanish team as a guide, both teams do not mix. Our problems are different.

Someone has to organize all this.

- -- Cheers,