Re: [opensuse-translation] gnome-packagekit (Re: opensuseupdater-gnome: openSUSE 11.0 - POT file update wanted)
  • From: "Leandro Regueiro" <leandro.regueiro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:46:54 +0200
In openSuse SVN should be only the strings specific to openSUSE, not
all the things that appear on openSUSE. Don't use the ubuntu system,
please.

Bye,
Leandro Regueiro

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Torsdag den 24. April 2008 16:58:43 skrev Carlos E. R.:

I completly agree.
> > If we want to collaborate translating it, the right way would be do it
> > upstream.
>
> Yep.
>
> I even think that it could be appropriate to remove this particular
> .pot/.po from our tree.
>
> It should be the task of the package maintainer (any and all packages,
> perhaps) to decide if he wants to fetch the most modern translation from
> each project tree and merge it to the version he packages for the
> distro, IMHO. Pushing a .po to the team of translators of a distribution
> is not correct, if an upstream translation effort exists.
>
> We (translators) could help translate upstream projects in between
> opensuse releases. For example, I have an email from a sourceforge
> translation project, I'll ask them if I can repost it here, in case
> anybody is interested.

I think it's justifiable in this particular case, since it's pretty central
software (default updater for gnome users), that still is severely lacking in
upstream translation.

But it certainly shouldn't become the rule.

Danish team has translated gnome-packagekit and has merged strings into
latest
POT from upstream and sent the work to Danish GNOME translators. The rest is
up to them.

Btw., kdepim 4.1 which will be included in 11.0 will probably be very poorly
translated from upstream also, since openSUSE will ship beta version. So it
might make sense for some people here to get involved with translating that
upstream.

See status for your language here:
http://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kde4/package/kdepim/
http://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kde4/package/kdepimlibs/

Or maybe we should add ~12.000 strings additional strings to openSUSE SVN :-)