Re: [opensuse-translation] The "packages" sub-branch, do we have to translate it?
  • From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 16:12:21 +0100
"Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

The Friday 2007-11-09 at 01:53 +0100, Pascal Bleser wrote:

Pointless... unless someone comes up with a tool that directly modifies
binary RPM file headers to update %SUMMARY and %DESCRIPTION(lang),
because that way, one could update the translations without rebuilding :)
Those could be extracted and converted to gettext format, and then
re-merged into the binary RPM files.

You mean that in order to use the translated "packages" files the whole
distro with all the rpms would have to be rebuilt? Wow.

Yeah, this sounds by far too ambitious.

I'm not sure I fully understand. Is it that the translation is hardcoded
insisde the rpm package, and can't be pulled from outside files, in a
similar way to what binary programs do pulling the translated strings at
runtime using gettext calls?

I thought this packages branch was used in some "magic" way by Yast when
using the software management thing, but I really haven't looked much at
it.

Yes, translations of package descriptions are not part of the RPMs
resp. the RPM database.

I simply wondered if it needs to be translated, as the "stats" page
doesn't show it: just yast and lcn.

Thus far, translating package descriptions is not required.

R&D / Documentation