Re: [opensuse-translation] The "packages" sub-branch, do we have to translate it?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 12:29:22 +0100 (CET)

The Friday 2007-11-09 at 01:53 +0100, Pascal Bleser wrote:

Working on the package descriptions is pointless. But you may consider
to work on them in the trunk for 11.0.

Pointless... unless someone comes up with a tool that directly modifies
binary RPM file headers to update %SUMMARY and %DESCRIPTION(lang),
because that way, one could update the translations without rebuilding :)
Those could be extracted and converted to gettext format, and then
re-merged into the binary RPM files.

You mean that in order to use the translated "packages" files the whole distro with all the rpms would have to be rebuilt? Wow.

Not sure that's actually feasible though (and would require removing and
re-adding signatures, as well as updating the hash of the package
headers.. that's probably not the hardest part though).

Either no one had the idea of doing that before (which I'd seriously
doubt) or it just isn't feasible for technical reason, because I'm yet
to see something like that for any RPM or deb based distribution.

I'm not sure I fully understand. Is it that the translation is hardcoded insisde the rpm package, and can't be pulled from outside files, in a similar way to what binary programs do pulling the translated strings at runtime using gettext calls?

I thought this packages branch was used in some "magic" way by Yast when using the software management thing, but I really haven't looked much at it.

I simply wondered if it needs to be translated, as the "stats" page doesn't show it: just yast and lcn.

- -- Cheers,