Re: [opensuse-translation] Translating to Macedonian Language
  • From: Βασίλειος Γιαννακόπουλος/Vasileios Giannakopoulos <billg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:56:46 +0100
I agree in almost everything you and Zoran said. Whatsoever you all must understand that if tomorrow, Germany call that Napoleon was a German, or if Gekis Huan was a Chinese or that Einstein was a South African, or that Mozart was an Indian, i wondering how would you feel. Nobody can (and personaly i have no problem with those people) stop you doing so. Thing is that when people start stealing your history, and doing it with so sly way, you feel like stealing your own house. Good or no good, my country has lot of history and unfortunately there are some politicians or other groups around it that trying desperetly to steal that heritage. If those people start calling them selves "Macedonians", tomorrow their country will become "Macedonia" and afterwards Alexander the Great will become a "Macedonian". This is not the first time this is happening and the way it happens is the only way to convince the rest of the world that they are Macedonians and descendants of Alexander. Believe me others are doing the same using this kind of means. Whatsoever as you said this is not a political list and so i prefer if we stop discuss this, and do whatever you think it must be done. I just had to say what i said.
Thank you,
V.G.
O/H Gudmund Areskoug έγραψε:
Hi Vasileios,

would you please take a rest and calm down. Zoran is as far as anyone
can see not the FYROM government or the FYROM itself, nor does he
represent it as such, as far as I can see. He's just a guy wanting to
help out, isn't he?

And if *people* (never mind the government or state) in e. g. Germany
decided to call their language Swedish - fine, let them, if it's easier
for them to communicate in their everyday lives that way. International
law hardly applies to them *in that way*, and probably not to the open
source project OpenSUSE either. What Novell calls things in the
commercial versions, will be up to their lawyers.

Let's please leave politics outside this list, give each others the
benefit of doubt and some slack for expressing things in a somewhat
simple and practical way, even if it isn't "correct" in whatever way (I
can't envision the people in... "that geographic region to the north of
Greece" going about calling their everyday way of speaking "A Mixture Of
Slavic, Hellenic And Possibly A Few Other Mostly Indo-European Languages
Language").

BR,
Gudmund

Βασίλειος Γιαννακόπουλος/Vasileios Giannakopoulos wrote:
Hello,
i would like to protest. According to European Union, Former Yugoslavian
Republic of Macedonia (F.Y.R.O.M.) is not allowed(at least yet) to use
the word "Macedonia" as the name of the country or the language, since
as we all know, Great Alexander was Greek. It is illegal, so if Mr.
Zoran would like to translate YaST to F.Y.R.O.M. no problem, because
Macedonian Language does NOT exist today, and even if it does, its
neither pure Greek or Slavic. Especially Slavic, since Slavs came to
where now its called FYROM on the 6th century, around 700 years (7
centuries) AFTER Macedonians. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs )
Of course this is a political issue, and politics has nothing to do with
SuSE, but please, we have to follow international law for Christ's sake!
yours,
V.G.
O/H Зоран Димовски έγραψε:
Hi, my name is Zoran Dimovski and I am interested in translating the
openSuSE applications to my language that is Macedonian language.
I know in my country there are a lot of people using openSuSE and SuSE
and think it would be very useful to have this fabulous distribution
in Macedonian. I am also one of the coordinators for translating KDE
to Macedonian and I work alone for translating some other distributions.
I want to start translating openSuSE alone for now because a lot of
issues and regarding the standardization of foreign terms. Can you
contact me and tell me what kind of information I should provide. I
read the Wiki page and there is stated that I should provide info such as
"which language team you want to join, your email address and your
user name for developer.novell.com pages."

So I've created a Novell account ...
Translation team: Macedonian
Language code: mk
contact email: zoki.dimovski@xxxxxxxxx
Novell username: dimovski

If there is something else that I need to provide please do not
hesitate to contact me and tell me what exactly I need to do before
start translating.

Best regards, Zoran.