Re: [opensuse-testing] A modest proposal: Make nomodeset the default for distributions
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 07:44:16 -0700
Yeah, I think this is a good idea. 11.4 on my HP Pavilion dv4 notebook
(ATI) actually ran better with the native open source driver than the
proprietary ATI driver, and my new laptop (Intel i5 - integrated GPU)
runs fine with both 11.4 and 12.1 with "nomodeset".

Basically, I should be able to take a GNOME or a KDE LiveCD into a
Staples or a Best Buy and boot it on any laptop they have and have the
screen, audio, wireless and pointing device come up functional. I know
that's a tall order, but I just bought an Asus U46E-BAL5 and except
for a modest glitch in the touchpad (Linux thinks it's a PS/2 mouse
and it's a known upstream kernel issue) it comes up with everything
functional in openSUSE 11.4, Fedora and Ubuntu.