Re: [opensuse-testing] Is anyone running xfstests against btrfs?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:22:35 -0400

Am 14.07.2011 17:07, schrieb Greg Freemyer:
Bernhard,

For clarity xfstests is not in OBS / factory.  It has to pulled from
git and compiled as documented in the above wiki page.

Does that work for your automated testing?  If not, it seems easy
enough to package and put into a devel repo.  I don't know if it makes
sense in factory?

Let me know if I can do anything.

Greg

I made this non-interactive script from the wiki page
(fixing the BuildRequires in the process):
http://openqa.opensuse.org/opensuse/qatests/qa_btrfs.sh

great

and got (after running quite a while) as result
Failed 4 of 50 tests
which might match your results...

I reached out to the xfs list to see if test 075 as an example had a
bug, or if it was btrfs itself that was faulty.  I was told for that
one in particular the test was fine, so btrfs is the culprit.  They
implied the other tests should be stable as well.

As to 4 failures, I get different results depending on the history of
tests I've run since the last mkfs.  So, I think it is safe to say at
least one of the tests causes filesystem corruption that causes other
tests to fail.

I think your automated test is fine as is, but anyone delving into a
particular failure should mkfs a nice clean filesystem, then run the
test standalone.

As to speed, the "-g auto" arg to ./check is controlling which tests
to run.  You can run -f quick and it should finish in under 5 minutes.
 For me the failing tests are also part of the quick group.

See the file "group" in the source to see which tests are in which group.

Also, if the quick set of tests is fast enough, you could use xfstests
to test xfs and ext4 as well.  I don't know what other filesystems
xfstests supports.

We can still package xfstests on OBS and push it to
devel:openSUSE:Factory or such where os-autoinst also resides.
Could make things somewhat simpler.

I will try to package it up and submit it.  Looks pretty simple.

Ciao
Bernhard M.

Greg

All,

Several of the discrete tests from xfstests have pending patches for
btrfs. They were just posted in the last week.

I believe the patches will increase the number of tests that attempt
to run against btrfs and thus cause more failures, as opposed to
fixing tests that are showing false failures on btrfs.

I definitely think we need to keep xfstests in the QA process of btrfs
for now (and the long term?). And it seems in the short term we can
expect the number of failing tests to grow, not shrink.

Greg