Re: [opensuse-testing] Weekly News for July 16
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:44:54 +0100
On 19 July 2011 21:20, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Javier Llorente <javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I prefer the old naming scheme... alpha, beta, RC, release. It's much clear.

Javier,

It may be clear, but it is inaccurate.  That is why the change to milestones.

How about:

unstable-1 ... stabilizing-1 ... RC ... Gold

Is "unstable" or "stabilising" any more accurate? The distro doesn't
necessarily have a queue of "risky" changes, kernel & desktop
environment releases require integration quite late on. Rather than
release naming being a logic problem, the issue of encouraging wider
testing pre-release via the "beta" conivention is simply about
emotional message; to encourage openSUSE users who *could* contribute
useful bug reports to give it a spin and do so, rather than waiting
till RC1.

We should not waste much time on release numbering & naming
conventions, M1 .. MN is workeable. Labelling Alpha, Beta, RC, GM or
Final, is more about informing the wider user base. We all know all
releases are going to need patching, in a modern networked
environment.

As a project, by labelling 12.1 M6 as "Beta", it allows more effective
marketing of the pre-release, implicitly it says this should be safe
enough for early adopters to run & use, getting a preview of 12.1
final. The bugs found at that point, have a better chance of being
fixed (ideally) before the GM, or an entry in Release Notes.

Larry's suggestion might not wildly increase installs of 12.1 M6, but
it can't do any harm and disappointments are easier to take in a
"beta" than at "RC" stage, and tend to be forgotton if a fix is
available for GM or as an update at end of first install..

Personally, I think efforts like factory-tested repo & Tumbleweed,
have far more potential to encourage more testers, than fiddling with
version numbers & naming :)

Regards Rob