Re: [opensuse-testing] Weekly News for July 16
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Javier Llorente <javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
El Sábado, 16 de Julio de 2011 06:53:40 Larry Finger escribió:
The Testing Core Team will hold an IRC meeting at 17:00 UTC, July 18 on
Channel #opensuse-testing on the Freenode IRC Network.
irc://irc.freenode.net/opensuse-testing.

The agenda calls for discussion of our experiences with 12.1 MS3. As this
release will likely not be available until next week, our discussion may be
limited.

Our second agenda item will concern our request to rename MS6 to Beta in
hopes of increasing the number of testers in the critical late stages of
testing. Our request was posted to the opensuse-project mailing list and
has been discussed on opensuse-testing and opensuse-factory. Most of the
comments have been favorable, and Stephan Kulow, the Release Manager, has
agreed to make the name change although he doubts that it will make much
difference. Coolo also asked how we will measure the effect of this
change. If you have ideas on this matter, please forward them to the TCT.

+1
I prefer the old naming scheme... alpha, beta, RC, release. It's much clear.

Greetings,
--
Javier Llorente

Javier,

It may be clear, but it is inaccurate. That is why the change to milestones.

How about:

unstable-1
unstable-2
unstable-3
unstable-4
unstable-5
stabilizing-1
stabilizing-2
stabilizing-3
RC
Gold

I may have the number of milestones, etc. off, but it is closer to
what happens. The issue is there is no generic rule that unstable-1
is more or less stable than unstable-5. And the quality of the
stabilizing releases depends on the quality of unstable-5.

Unfortunately, I somehow suspect the name stabilizing-2 won't pull
many testers. But I do think it at least has the value of being more
clear to the opensuse community.

Greg