Re: [opensuse-testing] Weekly News for February 12
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:38:38 -0600, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The next Testing Core Team IRC meeting will be held February 14, 2011
at 18:00 UTC. Happy Valentine's day.

This meeting will discuss the Team's experiences with openSUSE 11.4 RC1.

Since doing my first install about 30 hours ago, I have installed the
new release on 3 different instances with the following results:

1. I did a NET i586 upgrade from M6 to RC1 on a VirtualBox VM. All
was going well till the host had a kernel panic. The reason is not yet
known, but the host kernel is 2.6.38-rc4, and this is not the only
panic encountered. Just more to debug. If this were a job, there would
be considerable security.

2. After the crash, I could not recover the upgrade, thus I did a
full install on that VB VM of the KDE desktop from the i586 NET
install CD. Everything went well.

3. The x86_64 NET install CD was used to update from M6 to RC1 on my
main machine. In an initial reboot, NetworkManager has failed to
start, but it is not known if this was a one-time event. With the
Configure Desktop => Input Devices => Touchpad GUI, I could disable
tapping, which is essential for me as my personal capacitance always
leads to unintended clicks whenever tapping is enabled. This action
was much more difficult with 11.3. After running for more than 1 day
with my own home-built 2.6.38 kernel, I have found only one problem.
VirtualBox has not yet packaged their software for 11.4 and the 11.3
version has a set of library requirements that cannot be satisfied. As
a result, there was some difficulty in building the necessary kernel
module for my kernel. By using the source tree from my 11.3 system, I
could build the necessary kernel module for my kernel. As this
workaround only came to me while writing this newsletter item, I have
not tested extensively; however, it appears that this workaround will
allow me to use RC1 for general work.

Once again, I issue my plea for testing. Your hardware, software and
computing needs are unique - you will be testing combinations unlike
anyone else. Please look at the "most annoying bug" list to see if
there any killer bugs. Thus far, the only such bug that is posted is a
problem with the KDE Live CD. No doubt, we will add to that list
during our meeting.

I just had to rebuild my main workstation with 11.3 this afternoon, so this is a good time to try a test. Is the x86_64 .ISO small enough for me to burn on a DVD now, or do I need to install from a "NET" CD?
--
http://twitter.com/znmeb http://borasky-research.net

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." -- Paul Erdős