[opensuse-testing] Weekly News Item for June 26
  • From: Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 21:58:22 -0500
Sascha,

Below is my report for this week's news.

Larry

For general news about the openSUSE Testing Core Team, please see
http://tinyurl.com/24n8ufe and the links within it.

The Team held its regular IRC meeting last Monday. Our schedule calls for
a meeting on the Monday following an openSUSE release, thus we discussed
our experiences with RC1. Each of the members attending the meeting had
installed more than one instance of RC1. For example, I had done a "zypper
dup" upgrade on both x86_64 and i386 architectures. In addition, I had
done a new installation on another i386 system.

Several bugs were discussed:

* The NET install CD for i386 failed when starting udev. This problem has
since been fixed, and Build0685 boots correctly.

* A bug discovered in 11.3 M7 and fixed did not make it into RC1, but
should be in RC2. This is Bug #608166 that causes failures in setting up
an NFS client. The patched package for yast2-nfs-client is now in Factory,
and it does fix the problem.

* There is a hibernation-related problem with Gnome desktops - Bug
#615646. A fix based on upstream changes is in the works.

* Bug #615318 in which the splashy screen was messed up was also
identified by the team. It too has been fixed.

* Bug #615649 in which a system with an Intel 945G graphics adapter
sometimes freezes in Gnome has not yet been fixed.

* Bug #613822 in which YaST software management options do not persist
across sessions was filed by one of the members of the Team. This one has
not yet been fixed.

* Bug #595586 in which the RFKILL mechanism fails on an eepc900A remains a
problem for one of the Team. Otherwise, wireless seems to be working.

* Bug 602760 in which the installer reports "UI syntax error" while trying
to refresh repositories. This one remains unfixed.

Since the meeting, a problem was discovered with the Live CD release for
i586 that prevented booting. This too has now been fixed. As one of the
Team members has developed automated testing of installation, this kind of
problem is noticed quite early as he is testing every build.

Given the short time between now and the release of the Gold Master for
11.3, the Team is testing Factory iso images as well as official releases,
and we will be meeting again next Monday (June 28) to discuss out results.

Despite all the faults outlined above, I find 11.3, which I have been
running on a routine basis since M5, to be highly usable. To make 11.3 be
the best openSUSE release yet, I hope that you will try it. You can
discuss any problems in the "prerelease-beta" Forum; however, please
remember that the developers do not read that forum and you must file a
Bug report as well.