Re: [opensuse-testing] Hardware requirements for openSUSE 11.2
  • From: Tilman Schmidt <tilman@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:26:41 +0100

Am 2009-11-03 09:58 schrieb Rasmus Plewe:
On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 09:44:17AM +0100, jdd wrote:

I know of many people that can't afford to buy a computer and are very
happy to get for free a 256Mb ram 20Gb HDD PIV (I can spread many of
them, from company renewing program)

and openSUSE, even kde, runs on these machines

Of course they do. But users normally[0] don't want to run openSUSE or
KDE. They want to run firefox, kmail, acrobat reader and openOffice.

Not Acrobat Reader and OpenOffice - some PDF viewer and some office
suite. Those people jdd wrote about are usually willing quite to accept
suggestions of less heavyweight alternatives if it is pointed out to
them that their first choice requires a machine they would actually have
to spend real money for.

Firefox and Kmail shouldn't be a problem.

Of course people who cannot afford a Real Computer are a niche market.
But I think Linux in general, and openSUSE in particular, would be well
advised to cater for them.

What I, probably[1] not too well, tried to point out is that the
expectations need to be set correctly. If all you've got are 512MB, you
can make do with it and work around the limits. But "minimum hardware
requirements" imply to me that there is no limit for normal use.

For the normal mainstream PC user trained on products of You Know Who,
"minimum hardware requirements" implies "you might be able to install
it, but you won't enjoy using it".

- --
Tilman Schmidt E-Mail: tilman@xxxxxxx
Bonn, Germany
Diese Nachricht besteht zu 100% aus wiederverwerteten Bits.
Ungeöffnet mindestens haltbar bis: (siehe Rückseite)