Re: [opensuse-testing] Hardware requirements for openSUSE 11.2
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:13:44 +0100
Rasmus Plewe wrote:

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 07:53:19AM +0100, jdd wrote:
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky a écrit :

I've successfully installed both Gnome and KDE desktops from the
11.2 RC1 DVD on a 512 MB laptop. The LiveCDs don't really work

I could install on a 256Mb ram computer from the live cd (not going
live, of course) and it worked - 2 hours works though :-)

not recommanded, but it didn't work with 11.1

I would suggest to split the requirements into "usable installation",

I like that - a hardware suggestion for a usable installation. We might
have to add a little more about _what_ it would be usable for, but
still.

requiering at least 1 GB memory, decent CPU, 70GB hard disk (are there
any smaller hd's still around, anyway?),

Solid-state disks, yes. They come in sizes down to megabytes.

Then there is the "theoretically absolute minimum installation, using
all the tweaks you can get". That would be the 512/256MB
installations, probably running out of disk space as soon as the user
tries to save his .bash_history, and having no graphical resolution to
speak of (why should they? The system is not usable for someone
sitting in front of it anyway).

I managed to install 11.1 on a Pentium90 and make it run in only 96Mb -
without a GUI it's perfectly usable, but I think the absolute minimum
requirements should be just: Pentium CPU, 256Mb RAM (required for
installation), 8Gb harddisk space.

/Per Jessen, Zürich