Re: [opensuse-testing] Hardware requirements for openSUSE 11.2
  • From: Rasmus Plewe <rasmus@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 09:35:48 +0100
On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 07:53:19AM +0100, jdd wrote:
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky a écrit :

I've successfully installed both Gnome and KDE desktops from the 11.2
RC1 DVD on a 512 MB laptop. The LiveCDs don't really work

I could install on a 256Mb ram computer from the live cd (not going
live, of course) and it worked - 2 hours works though :-)

not recommanded, but it didn't work with 11.1

I would suggest to split the requirements into "usable installation",
requiering at least 1 GB memory, decent CPU, 70GB hard disk (are there
any smaller hd's still around, anyway?), at least 1024x768 graphical
resolution. That would be a system an end user could actually work
with.

Then there is the "theoretically absolute minimum installation, using
all the tweaks you can get". That would be the 512/256MB installations,
probably running out of disk space as soon as the user tries to save his
.bash_history, and having no graphical resolution to speak of (why
should they? The system is not usable for someone sitting in front of it
anyway).

It's a modern operating system, so please use a modern computer. If you
use less, you either need to know what you're doing (and why you're
doing it - of course there are scenarios where a minimum installation is
the right thing), or you're hitting limits whenever you try to do
something.

But we're not doing the end users a favor by suggesting he could install
on such a minimum system. That will only cause frustration the moment he
logs on.

Rasmus