Re: [opensuse-testing] Remarks from using KDE4 Live CD Milestone 8
  • From: Refilwe Seete <r.seete@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:53:59 -0400
SaX2 is not in YaST and in SaX2 there are missing many items presented in
older versions. I'll check if it is in Bugzilla.

SaX2 has been lowered in prominence because openSUSE 11.2 has moved toward not
having a xorg.conf file by default. This is a consequence of updating to a
newer Xorg/XServer which has made 'xorg.conf' unnecessary for most machines.

Item for search on-line repositories is missing in YaST - it should be
included, because most users do not know about it. I think was recently
discussed.

The Webpin module should probably work better first, but at the least the
package manager has a menu entry to make finding Webpin easier.
Configuration -> Search Packages On Web

In YaST installer is on first screen licence in English and under it button
license translations, which pops up window with same license and drop down
menu with different languages. It is silly. Why not to have this drop down
menu included over or under the license directly on the screen, without
extra clicks and pop up window?

I don't know why it is this way. Please consider filing a bug against this
behaviour. Although at this stage of development, anticipate any change to
land in 11.3.

My biggest issue with this Live CD is translation. During the boot I choose
Czech language (which is highly translated). [edited] Sometimes one sentence
in dialog window was in Czech and the rest in English. Strange.
The bug is that Live installer was only in English (nit in Czech despite
chosen language). When I upgraded my system to Milestone 8 using install
DVD, the installer was fully translated.

The Live-CD has full translations for English, French, German, Italian, Polish
and Russian. This is a massive improvement over previous Live-CDs. The DVD
has more space and therefore has many more languages. The presence of partial
support for other languages is probably an unintended consequence of the way
languages are packaged for openSUSE. Smaller apps often have a monolithic
"appname-lang" package that includes a broad swath of translations. The only
real solution to this would be to publish Live DVDs. SUSE Studio would be
helpful in this regard.

Otherwise, I suppose it would be a good idea to suppress listing the other
languages at the boot screen...that should prevent people from getting the
incorrect impression that the disc has full translations for their language.

But still I must say the CD worked very well. Good job! :-) And also
openSUSE 11.2 Milestone 8 works better than openSUSE 11.1... ;-)
Have a nice day!
Vojtěch Zeisek

Glad you like it. Continue to test, and don't forget to report any bugs you
find!

Refilwe