Re: [opensuse-testing] installation report
  • From: Birger Kollstrand <birger.kollstrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 20:12:44 +0200
2009/9/30 Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>:
SuSE could have, but openSUSE cannot. That is a decision that was made
by Novell - only open-licensed software will be distributed.

Well, I do not know what the terms of the agreement with Broadcom are.
Novell already provides on nvidia ftp pre-packaged nVidia drivers. I
think the same could be done for Broadcom drivers. When I asked, nobody
said Broadcom refused and nobody confirmed they asked, so I do not know
why this wasn't done.

I have an HP Mininote which is probaly suffering from this Broadcom issue.

Has there been any discussion within Novel/openSUSE to contact
Broadcom directly to get a user friendly solution? As openSUSE is
distributing Opera/NVidia/ATI and similar free , but closed source
products, I can't see any reason for not giving our users the same
option regarding this driver. If possible......

I'd be more than willing to test any official solution.

Kind Regards

Birger