Re: [opensuse-testing] Getting a patch included
  • From: Tilman Schmidt <tilman@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:34:20 +0200
Martin Schlander schrieb:
Mandag den 13. april 2009 23:25:47 skrev Tilman Schmidt:
When I started trying to help improving (Open)SUSE, the advice I got
was that the best way to submit a patch was to open a Bugzilla entry
describing the problem the patch was going to solve, and attach the
proposed patch to it. Is that no longer true, and is it now acceptable
to send personal mail to the packager of the package the file to be
patched happens to be distributed in?

It's true if the patch is for openSUSE maintained code or packaging.

But if the patch is for upstream software, clearly the patch should be sent
upstream and not to bnc.

AFAICT neither YaST (the software exposing the deficiency) nor hwinfo
(the package containing the file that needs to be patched) are
upstream software in that sense. But hwinfo doesn't seem to be
openSUSE maintained either. So apparently there's a third category.
How should that be handled?

Thanks,
Tilman

PS: What is "bnc"?