Re: [Bulk] [opensuse-testing] Building the OpenSUSE testing team
  • From: Dave Plater <dave.plater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:09:04 +0200
Alberto Passalacqua wrote:
Hello,

some time ago I proposed the creation of a community based testing team
for openSUSE pre-releases. I did not know of the existance of some
infrastructure already in place, line the #opensuse-testing IRC channel
and the opensuse-testing@xxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list, as I did not know of
the work done by Holgie, daemon and their friends!

Anyway, after some discussion with Zonker, I have been encouraged to
move the topic here officially. I'm sorry for the repetitions that
happened in different mailing lists. I'll try to do better next time!

The main idea was to create a group of stable testers to deeply test
openSUSE functionalities on their machines, in order to catch annoying
bugs earlier in the development stages, allowing the fixes to be done
and tested again in a more timely and less rushed manner.

It won't be easy, we need motivated volunteers and we have a lot to
learn to do it the right way, but I think it is worth the effort, if we
want to keep faith to the guiding principles, which states openSUSE aims
to be "the most usable Linux distribution" (and not the most cutting
edge one!).

I summed up the motivations, a short problem analysis about the current
status quo, and some proposal of solution in some slides you can
download from here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Testing_Team

Any suggestion on how to start is more than welcome!

With kind regards,
Alberto

Hi, you can put my name down, I'm already testing 11.2 mostly package
management as I don't have unlimited bandwidth. Besides alpha 11.2 is
working remarkably well at the moment. I also don't have enough hd space
for multiple systems.
Regards
Dave P