[opensuse-testing] virtual box install
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 08:06:19 +0100
Hello
This list seems pretty empty, so may be it's usefull to use it?

I try to setup some infos for testing the future openSUSE 10.2

I think that the first simpler way to test a new distro is installing
in VirtualBox.

I choosed to use the non OSS, Sun VirtualBox version because most of
my devices are USB :-(

I found no way to install directly from factory, the mini CD fails
with "no repository". I was said isos are buggy...

so I installed the minimal openSUSE 11.1, changed the source to
factory/repo.oss and nonoss and zypper up did the job.

I could then use YaST to install kde4. I had minor problems doing so,
but finally could install as well the virtualbox extensions

Main problems where : no grafical interface (even with 512Mo ram given
to virtualbox) and some others I didn't remember

I think we should provide two things to testers:

* a minimal set of install system to test, beginning with the minicd,
then minimal dvd, to test the install itself (may be restructed to
images, even empty images on the beginning)

* compressed VirtualBox already installed images to test the
applications. Various images could be given are various times, more
complete when debugging goes well

This could ake the testing much more effective.

I wait for advice before going far more ahead

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org