Re: [opensuse-testing] openSUSE 11.1 Beta 6 ready to test
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:01:03 -0600
Actually, since I don't have much loaded on it, I think I'm going to try
reloading with a network install. That didn't work yesterday because
stuff hadn't propagated to the mirrors yet, but it should be OK now, right?

I haven't tried NET installation recently. It keeps computer busy for hours,
and when it fails you have to start from scratch. It should be OK, though.

The way that installation from Live CD works is what I did for years. Create
minimal functional GUI, and then add whatever comes in mind.

The md5sum is trivial to check from console, but there is one show stopper in
wrong version that reflects as wrong hard disk device name, /dev/hda instead
of /dev/sda .

Boot to installed system.
Start console from Main Menu.
List files in /dev/ directory looking for any 'sd*' . This should give you
some output, even if only partition is Windows. Here is mine:
# ls /dev/sd*
/dev/sda /dev/sda2 /dev/sda5 /dev/sda7 /dev/sda9 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb3
/dev/sda1 /dev/sda3 /dev/sda6 /dev/sda8 /dev/sdb /dev/sdb2

When you try to list 'hd*' than 'ls' command will complain:
# ls /dev/hd*
ls: cannot access /dev/hd*: No such file or directory

So if you can see listed /dev/sda (whole disk) and /dev/sdaN (N=1, 2, 3, ...,
for partitions) than you have new version.
If it lists only /dev/hda than it is older version that has to be replaced.

--
Regards, Rajko