Re: [opensuse-summit] Roomie Board
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 19:44:57 +0200
On Tuesday 17 April 2012 11:53:22 Bryen M Yunashko wrote:
On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 18:49 +0200, Thomas Schmidt wrote:
On 17.04.2012 17:09, Bryen M Yunashko wrote:
[..]

We *want* to encourage people to room together, especially those we
will
sponsor for travel (assuming we have funds for that.) But telling
people to room together is one thing, knowing where to find people in
search of roommates is quite another.

I was thinking we should just create a "Rooming Board" on our website,
but on the technical side, there is no database running the website
that
can store/manage these listings. We could link to a wiki page, but as
Jos pointed out, it requires login, which will create a barrier for
some
people.

Hi Bryen,
I don't think we should sponsor people to come to the conference that
are unwilling to log into our wiki. Or which barrier are you talking
about?

Greetings

Sponsored attendees was just one example. We should be making it easy
to reach out to each other for roommate options regardless of whether
you're sponsored or not. The event will not be exclusive only to those
who are in the openSUSE community and use the wiki or any other openSUSE
login component.

Too bad our infrastructure requires the novell/suse account, not everyone is
happy with that.

Then again, we have to be realistic, we can't overhaul all our infra all the
time. Let's see how Shayon's tool works and if that's a solution. If it
isn't, let's set up a wiki page and ask people afterwards if it worked for
them... If not, we can change things.

/Jos
(always in favor of quick solutions over perfect ones)

Bryen
< Previous Next >