Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-softwaremgmt (33 mails)
|< Previous||Next >|
Re: [softwaremgmt] Our software store
- From: Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 11:03:04 +0100
- Message-id: <C6D81156-46F5-423E-AFC6-6C7DE6DC4C5D@xxxxxxx>
On 03.11.2010, at 13:31, Duncan Mac-Vicar P. wrote:
On 11/02/2010 04:24 PM, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
yes. We don´t have an website for this project yet. :-)
But I indeed suggest to use the OCS API and one of the existing client for
What do you mean with existing client for openSUSE?
Sorry for the bad phrase.
I mean I suggest to use libattica for the communication with the
server/repository and use the existing KDE GHNS client as native AppStore
client for the desktop.
It´s of course possible to write a GTK+ bases frontend on top of libattica if
the GNOME community don´t like a Qt based AppStore.
I already discussed this with Vincent.
MeeGo will use the same system in the next release and others are also
So this could be a nice area of collaboration between different
distributions. It´s also good for
openSUSE because most of the AppStore system already exists.
It shouldn´t be a problem to launch it for 11.4
- Do a meeting with people from other distributions to try to convince
everybody to use the same API. This would be good for the complete Linux
- Find a name for the openSUSE AppStore client. Something like "AppStore",
"SoftwareCenter", SoftwareInstaller, ..
- Create an icon for the client.
- Take the existing GHNS client and convert it into a standalone Desktop
client. (very easy)
Get Hot New Stuff? How to hook that up with the app installation?
It´s very easy to transform the existing GHNS app into an AppStore client. We
only have to feed in the new application categories and add a openSUSE branding
with nice colors, logo, name and so on.
The user get´s a link to an ymp file if he/she clikcs on install. We could use
the existing system packagekit/yast system to handle the installation of the
- Find a domainname for the website (foo.opensuse.org or opensuse-foo.org,
- Decision how the applications are maintained. (scanning of a existing
repository and extracting metadata or user generated entries with ratings,
- Do the backend (Frank)
- more I forgot :-)
I plan to do a proof of concept in the next few days.
We could finalize everything during a 2-3 days developer meeting.
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - Novell® Making IT Work As One™
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-softwaremgmt+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse-softwaremgmt+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx
|< Previous||Next >|