Re: [softwaremgmt] Our software store
  • From: Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 16:24:10 +0100
Hi,

yes. We don´t have an website for this project yet. :-)

But I indeed suggest to use the OCS API and one of the existing client for
openSUSE.
MeeGo will use the same system in the next release and others are also
interested.
So this could be a nice area of collaboration between different distributions.
It´s also good for
openSUSE because most of the AppStore system already exists.
It shouldn´t be a problem to launch it for 11.4

Open TODOs

- Do a meeting with people from other distributions to try to convince
everybody to use the same API. This would be good for the complete Linux
ecosystem.
- Find a name for the openSUSE AppStore client. Something like "AppStore",
"SoftwareCenter", SoftwareInstaller, ..
- Create an icon for the client.
- Take the existing GHNS client and convert it into a standalone Desktop
client. (very easy)
- Find a domainname for the website (foo.opensuse.org or opensuse-foo.org, ...)
- Decision how the applications are maintained. (scanning of a existing
repository and extracting metadata or user generated entries with ratings, ...)
- Do the backend (Frank)
- more I forgot :-)

I plan to do a proof of concept in the next few days.

We could finalize everything during a 2-3 days developer meeting.

What do you think?

Cheers
Frank