[softwaremgmt] Our software store
  • From: "Duncan Mac-Vicar P." <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 11:19:18 +0100

Following up with the discussions that took place in the openSUSE conference, I would like to kick off a discussion that has as an objective to come up with a step-by-step plan on how to

- Make it ridiculously easy for the users to find & install the ridiculously good software

This has various possible technical solutions. But the output has to be:

- a "place" where the user can click and see the available cool software (ie: Chromium" not ie: libhenne-devel) with screenshots, ratings, comments

- The user should not care about repositories and their combination requisites, or strange signature dialogs

- Other pieces in the distro need to be integrated, or at least it would be nice to, for example we ship KPackageKit which is a lovely app if you show a bunch of apps separated by groups, but gets completely unusable if you show 2135 packages with strange names in one category in a simple list-view. Other pieces don't, like zypper, YaST2 which are mean to be used as package managers.

- Whatever new opportunities we are able to get done in the process. For example, Frank's project bretzel has components that fit int he backoffice, aiming for a one click publishing of software from the developer's side (using adrian's _service's) which fits ridiculously great in our build service story.

Cheers

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - Novell® Making IT Work As One™