[softwaremgmt] Feature - notifications
  • From: Michal Hrusecky <mhrusecky@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:39:34 +0200
Hi,

I've been thinking about how to work with configuration files updates
(feature #306411 [1]). In the end it seems that it would require some
adjustments to installation system as well. I think it can be divided
into two main features, so I'll post them here in two e-mails so it will
be easier to track them. And the reason is of course to discuss there
features, collect ideas and hopefully somebody will consider/implement
them.

First thing that would be nice to have is some general notification
feature during installation. It has been already discussed on zypp-devel
mailing list [2]. I'll try to summarize what I think was mentioned in
related thread.

We need two (maybe more) types of notifications:
- critical (user has to agree that he knows about it)
- non-critical (user probably wants to know this but he can safely
ignore it)

What notification should contain:
- condition (package name and package version, current and previous,
other condition whether this notification should be displayed)
- whether it was displayed and dismissed
- notification itself

One solution suggested somewhere was storing these notices as files with
some special format somewhere in /var/adm. Other suggested thing was
that these notices shouldn't be displayed during installation, but in
the end and easy to skip so automatic installation would just store them
and bug user about them next time he tries to install something. And
user wouldn't need to click on something every five minutes.

[1] https://features.opensuse.org/306411
[2] http://lists.opensuse.org/zypp-devel/2009-05/msg00001.html

--
Michal Hrusecky