Re: [softwaremgmt] Identifying a package in rpm-md
  • From: Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:11:22 +0100
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:23:26AM +0000, Benji Weber wrote:
2009/1/28 Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx>:
Suppose we have package movieplayer in 3 repos: in factory with few
codecs, in packman with more codecs, and in a home project with a
different set of more codecs. Now we have several versions of the
package from all of these repos. If I understand correctly, you want
to classify movieplayer so that you have 3 pkgids.

Or one, I know what repository it is as that's where I obtained the metadata.

The problem is matching up the packages that are currently in the
repository, with the packages that were there before.

How about name+packager? (or vendor, but I don't see that in rpm-md)
+arch?

Is it not possible for one packager to package multiple versions of
the same named package within one repository?

e.g. amarok 2.0 and amarok 2.1 ?

I don't think so. I don't know the hard facts, but the general
assumption is that the unique thing is the package name. Otherwise
we wouldn't weld version numbers to package names (kde3-*, kde4-*
...)

I was wondering if there's a set of attributes that's guaranteed to be
unique, other than the checksum.

But for your purposes (deleting obsolete records from a database and
inserting fresh ones) that seems to be not the right question. If
that set does not include the version, then you will likely find the
obsolete entry, otherwise you won't, isn't that the case?
--
Martin Vidner, YaST developer
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner