Re: [softwaremgmt] Is 1-Click reliable?
  • From: "Cristian Morales Vega" <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 18:33:34 +0100
2008/12/6 Benji Weber <b.weber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I totally agree on the repository de-duping issue. This has been a
problem from the beginning, and there's still no way to uniquely
identify a repository based on the metadata stored in the repository.
See https://bugzilla.novell.com/377568 , until this is resolved it's
also difficult to solve some of the other issues you raise.

Good to know the problem is being worked on

Regarding which repository packages will be installed from. The
handler will prefer packages from the repositories explicitly
mentioned in the YMP itself over others that are present on the user's
system. However, you are correct that there is currently no way to
explictly specify which repository every single package comes from.

The problem is you must add the OSS repo since you don't know if the
user already added it, and since what you are trying to archieve is a
sustitution of OSS repo packages...

Repository priorities are not supported yet since there was no support
in libzypp/yast for repository priorities at the time, it should be in
the future.

Ok.

There are a couple of things you can use in the meantime to work
around some of the problems you have noticed. One possibility is to
work with the package maintainers to adjust the dependencies and
package naming to create something uniquely available. eg.
packman-foo. Another is to use the more powerful Pattern format and in
the YMP simply specify to install the Pattern instead of a package.
N.B. this will not work in 11.0 due to a regression in that version of
libzypp where it didn't support rpm-md patterns
https://bugzilla.novell.com/419947 . I understand this is fixed in
11.1, though I haven't had time to install 11.1 yet.

Yes, even in an _updated_ 11.0 system rpm-md patterns work.
I must admit I never understood what patterns offer that a simple rpm
metapackage doesn't, but looking into an example
(http://novell.com/package/metadata/suse/pattern returns 404, I don't
know where I can find a spec... even if I don't talk XML/XSD :-p ) it
looks like they offer the same than 1-Click, limited to a single repo,
plus "recommends" and "suggests". I _suppose_ that even if just
package names are provided, ZYpp will select packages only from the
same repo the pattern comes from, true?
If so, would be a good idea to talk with Packman... but, how can
patterns.xml be created? http://en.opensuse.org/Enhancerepo talks
about patterns like something "planned", and so I suppose createrepo
doesn't supports them. Right now a text editor is everything Packman
has available to create patterns?