Re: [softwaremgmt] Is 1-Click reliable?
  • From: "Benji Weber" <benji@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 15:17:51 +0000
2008/12/6 Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>:
I see there are still users complaining about the 1-Click links from
http://opensuse-community.org/ not working (meaning they don't have
full multimedia support after using them).

Yeah, I don't think the GNOME one ever worked, no-one ever tested them.

I totally agree on the repository de-duping issue. This has been a
problem from the beginning, and there's still no way to uniquely
identify a repository based on the metadata stored in the repository.
See https://bugzilla.novell.com/377568 , until this is resolved it's
also difficult to solve some of the other issues you raise.

Regarding which repository packages will be installed from. The
handler will prefer packages from the repositories explicitly
mentioned in the YMP itself over others that are present on the user's
system. However, you are correct that there is currently no way to
explictly specify which repository every single package comes from.

Repository priorities are not supported yet since there was no support
in libzypp/yast for repository priorities at the time, it should be in
the future.

There are a couple of things you can use in the meantime to work
around some of the problems you have noticed. One possibility is to
work with the package maintainers to adjust the dependencies and
package naming to create something uniquely available. eg.
packman-foo. Another is to use the more powerful Pattern format and in
the YMP simply specify to install the Pattern instead of a package.
N.B. this will not work in 11.0 due to a regression in that version of
libzypp where it didn't support rpm-md patterns
https://bugzilla.novell.com/419947 . I understand this is fixed in
11.1, though I haven't had time to install 11.1 yet.

I'm sorry for not being more active in fixing some of these issues
recently, I've had less time since starting a new job. There's lots to
do, implementing something like Garratt's mockups[0], backing onto
packagekit instead of suse specific tools etc.

At the moment I'm watching what other distributors are going to do in
this area[1], hopefully eventually we'll get something that's accepted
across distributions, although outside the suse community the very
concept of third party packages seems to be so hated that I'm not sure
whether it will happen.

__

[0] http://ux.suse.de/~garrett/public/hackweek/oneclick/mockups/
[1] http://wiki.winehq.org/TrustingThirdPartyRepositories